Big Tax Losses in 2008? Consider a Roth Conversion

Financial Planning

Self-employed persons or small business owners such as home builders with big tax losses for the year should consider converting their traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs this year to “soak up” some or all of the loss.  This planning could be even more beneficial given that the securities or mutual funds in the original IRA are likely to be depressed in value, which means less income will be realized.

Make sure you speak to your tax advisor soon if you think a rollover may be of benefit to you in 2008.  This plan will not work if you have long term capital losses (e.g. from stock sales) rather than ordinary losses (for example, from a S Corporation or LLC), as only $3,000 in capital loss can be used to offset ordinary income.
Address: 1414 Raleigh Rd Ste 203, Chapel Hill NC 27517
Phone: 919.636.0950 | Toll Free: 800.201.0413 | Fax: 919.493.6355 |